Cheng Tim Jin
Area of Practice
- General corporate
- Litigation matters
Advocate and Solicitor, Supreme Court Singapore, 1999
- LL.B (Hons), The University of Hull, UK
- Fellow of the Association of Charted Certified Accountant
- Diploma in Law, National University of Singapore
- Practising Management Consultant, Singapore
- Arbitrator of Xi’an Arbitration Commission (XAAC), China
- Accredited Mediator of The Singapore International Mediation Institute, Singapore
- Mediator of Sanya International Commercial Mediation Centre, China
English, Mandarin, Bahasa Indonesia, Cantonese
As a previous associate director at Yeo-Leong & Peh LLC, Vice-President (Head of Legal) of Indika Group, Indonesia, Legal Associate at Chang See Hiang & Partners, Legal Associate at Assomull & Partners, TJ has vast, in-depth experience in corporate and commercial legal practices, specialising in initial public offerings, private equity, mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances, fund management and establishment of funds, venture capital investments and related transactions, co-ordinating sale and purchase of shares and businesses amongst other things.
TJ’s forte lies in structuring complex and major commercial transactions in a tax-friendly and effective manner. In 2007, TJ was involved in a US$250 million bond issue which was awarded the “Deal of the Year” by FinanceAsia, for “showing considerable structuring effort and innovation.”
- Helped to resolve Sales and Purchase dispute between a Canadian pharmaceutical company and Singapore company on asset sales through mediation for both parties to reach a settlement agreement.
- Helped to resolve a 7 year dispute regarding patent infringement between a world-renowned chemical pharmaceutical company and a biotechnology research company. TJ was able to negotiate for a favourable resolution for the benefit of both parties through a settlement agreement.
- Helped to resolve a dispute regarding the construction of a coal-fired power plant in West Java, Indonesia. The owner wanted to file for a claim for compensation against the Korean engineering company for the structural damage, engineering defects and delays in the installation of the project site. After several rounds of negotiation, the two parties settled.
- Advised on several aircraft purchase and financing transactions
- Advised on the mortgage of property in Singapore for a A$55,000,000 construction facility in Australia.
- Advised on a S$26,100,000 construction loan facility for the development of a hotel on Sentosa Island.
- Advised on, negotiated and closed a S$148,000,000 loan facility for the acquisition of 180 units of condominiums.
- Advised on a US$57,000,000 project financing for 25,000 hectares of new oil palm plantation.
- Negotiated, advised on and closed the acquisition of the “Wendy’s Restaurants“, “Hartz Chicken” and “Café Dedaunan” franchises in Indonesia.
- Negotiated and advised on the divestment of the largest Indonesian polyethylene producer for consideration of US$78 million.
- Advised on and coordinated a US$ billion dollar joint venture for construction of a mine-mouth power plant (4 x 600 MW) in South Sumatra, which involved both Indonesian and China State-owned companies.
Finance & Capital Markets
- Advised on and closed a US$250,000,000 international bond offering.
- Procured, arranged, negotiated and advised on a US$28,000,000 term loan facility from DBS Bank.
- Structured, negotiated, advised on and closed an acquisition of 41% interests in PT Kideco Jaya Aung, one of the largest coal mining companies in Indonesia, for cash consideration of US$140 million in August 2004 and the acquisition of 5% interests in PT Kideco Jaya Agung and its other related companies for consideration of US$28 million in December 2006.
- Negotiated, advised on and closed a US$22 million Hong Kong joint venture (Politech Holdings Limited) between a Singapore company and a Cayman company in January 2005.
- Drafted, negotiated, advised on and closed an Indonesian joint venture (PT CoTrans Asia) between an Indonesian Company and a Korean company in December 2004.
- Structured, negotiated, advised on and closed a US$140 million term loan facility provided by Korean financial institutions in August 2004. Such a facility was awarded the South Korea Loan of the year by IFR Asia.
- Advised on and coordinated a US$570 million project financing for a (1 x 660 MW) power plant in Indonesia from banks of Japan and Korea.