Personal Data Policy
The purpose of this document (“Policy”) is to inform you of how Wilberforce TJC Law Corporation handles personal data which is subject to the Personal Data Protection Act (No. 26 of 2012) of Singapore (“PDPA”).
In this Policy, “Personal Data” refers to any data, whether true or not, about an individual who can be identified (a) from that data; or (b) from that data and other information to which we have or are likely to have access, including data in our records as may be updated from time to time.
Examples of such Personal Data you may provide to us include your name, NRIC, passport number, telephone number, mailing and email address and any other information relating to any individuals which you have provided us.
1.HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL DATA
1.1 Generally, the Firm may collect Personal Data in various ways including:
- in the course of you engaging our services through our Letter of Engagement;
- when you submit your information to us through our Know-Your-Client form;
- when you contact us through online enquiries;
- via information communicated to us over the phone, fax, email, face-to face meetings, letters, or other modes of contact;
- when you request that we contact you;
- when you attend a seminar or other event organised by us;
- photographs or videos taken by us or our representatives when you attend events hosted by us;
- when you apply to us for a job or internship;
- from business partners, public information sources, search services and other third parties;
- when we collect and/or use data for any of the purposes listed in Clause 2 below; and
- when you submit your Personal Data to us for any other reason.
1.2 If you provide us with any Personal Data relating to a third party, by submitting such Personal Data to us, you also represent to us and must ensure that you have notified the third party of the terms of this Policy and obtained his consent thereto.
1.3 As WTJC relies on your Personal Data to provide services to you, you shall ensure that at all times the Personal Data submitted to us is true, accurate and complete. Failure on your part to do so may result in our inability to provide you with the services you have requested.
2. PURPOSES FOR WHICH WE COLLECT, USE AND DISCLOSE PERSONAL DATA
2.1 Generally, the purposes for which the Firm collects, uses and discloses Personal Data include:
- providing our services as stated in our Letter of Engagement to be signed when you confirm our engagement;
- completing our Know-Your-Client and Anti-Money Laundering checks and verifying your identity;
- responding to, processing and handling your queries, feedback and suggestions;
- processing payments as well as managing our administrative and business operations and providing customer service and support;
- managing the security of our premises, facilities and technology infrastructure;
- complying with applicable laws and regulations, codes of practice or guidelines, policies, procedures, and regulatory requirements which are binding on us;
- the establishment, exercise or defence of any legal or equitable claim and/or protecting and enforcing our contractual and legal rights and obligations;
- creating and maintaining your profile in our system database for internal records and reference and for future conflict checks;
- assessment for the purposes of job and/or internship applications; and
- any other purpose necessary, ancillary or consequential to the above specified purposes.
3.DISCLOSING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
3.1 The Firm may disclose Personal Data as follows:
- where such disclosure is required for performing obligations in the course of or in connection with our provision of the goods and services requested by you; or
- to third party service providers, agents and other organisations we have engaged to perform any of the functions with reference to the above-mentioned purposes at Clause 2.
3.2 You further understand, acknowledge and agree that where you have engaged us to carry out any work in any jurisdictions outside Singapore, the transfer of your personal data records to these jurisdictions may be necessary to give effect to your instructions and that you request and consent to our so transmitting your personal data outside Singapore. Personal data may therefore be exported to, processed and accessed in countries whose laws provide a different level of protection, which may not necessarily be comparable to that provided in Singapore.
4.RETENTION OF PERSONAL DATA
4.1 We may retain your personal data for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected, or as required or permitted by applicable laws.
4.2 We will cease to retain your personal data, as soon as it is reasonable to assume that such retention no longer serves the purpose for which the personal data was collected and is no longer necessary for legal or business purposes.
5.1 When you browse our website, you generally do so anonymously, and we do not at our website automatically collect Personal Data unless you provide such information.
5.2 Our website may contain links to other sites and resources that are operated or provided by third parties with different privacy practices. We have no control over and do not take any responsibility for these third party websites and their personal data handling practices, and you are encouraged to review the personal data policies of websites you choose to visit which are linked from our website.
6.WITHDRAWAL OF CONSENT, ACCESS AND CORRECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
6.1 If you:
- have any questions or feedback relating to your Personal Data or our Policy;
- would like to withdraw your consent to any use of your Personal Data as set out in this Policy; or
- would like to obtain access and make corrections to your Personal Data records, please contact our Data Protection Officer, as follows:
Ms Persis Hoo
+65 6223 3286
23A Neil Road Singapore 088815
If you withdraw your consent to any or all use of your Personal Data, depending on the nature of your request, we may not be in a position to continue to provide our services to you.
Without prejudice to the foregoing, by accessing and using our website in any way, you represent and warrant that you have read, understand and consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Data as set out above.
This Policy shall be governed in all respects by the laws of Singapore.
Last Updated on 11 November 2020.